Because falls are one of the most common and serious in jury-causing hazards in the construction industry, it’s important that all workers and employers are aware of the risks and the best methods for fall prevention. Whether through the use of guardrails, harnesses or lanyards, it’s important that all workers are outfitted with the safest and most appropriate gear for the job. Any time you are at a risk of falling three meters or more, you should wear appropriate fall protection gear.
What should you know about fall protective equipment?
- inspect all protective equipment daily
- replace any worn or broken equipment
- replace any equipment previously involved in a fall
- have all protective equipment inspected at least once a year (depending on use) by a certified inspector
- always use shock absorbers along with fall protective gear
- use the appropriate gear for the job, different jobs require different fall protective equipment