Public transit and COVID-19 safety
In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19, all organizations must take the necessary precautions to minimize risks. This involves conducting proper hazard assessments on worksites and putting controls and procedures in place to mitigate the risk of exposure to workers and customers.
Some measures that can be implemented for public transit are:
- Implement a process for passengers to board at the back of the bus to prevent rider contact with the driver. Prevent passengers from sitting in those seats closest to the driver.
- Promote social distancing on the bus to ensure the required two-metre space exists between the riders. Limit the number of passengers allowed on the bus.
- Put up barriers between driver and passengers.
- Increase frequency of cleaning and disinfection schedules of vehicles. Provide disposable disinfectant wipes so commonly touched areas can be wiped down.
- Reduce run schedules to allow for increased cleaning and disinfection.
- Use signage to reinforce good hygiene practices.
For further resources visit: